Each September the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID) sponsors a month-long focus on the benefits of dental implants. The theme for this year is “Healthy Mouth, Healthy You.” It is well known that oral health can affect overall health. An unhealthy mouth might contribute to heart disease, pregnancy complications, or pneumonia. It is crucial to maintain your oral health. If you have missing teeth, dental implants are the best way to ensure a healthy mouth.
What are dental implants?
Basically, they resemble small screws that are placed in your jawbone. They are made from a titanium alloy and serve as an anchor that supports a connector. The connector is a base onto which custom-made crown is attached. The dental implant procedure is one of the safest surgeries in dentistry. Dental professionals have used implants for over 30 years.
What are some of the benefits?
Implants are the closest thing to your real teeth and not only provide cosmetic and functional improvements, but also have a positive effect on your general health in several ways.
- When teeth are missing, bone loss will eventually occur. Choosing to replace missing teeth with dental implants will help prevent this by stopping bone loss and stimulating bone growth. One of the issues with bone loss is that it can change the shape of your face. Without teeth, the jawbone begins to deteriorate. Without that underlying structure the mouth can fold in on itself, causing a change in the shape of the face.
- Implants restore the ability to chew properly, making it easier to eat healthier, more nutritious food that you may have been avoiding.
- They offer major improvements over dentures. Implants will not slip or move around like dentures can. This helps improve speech and ends potential sore spots in the mouth.
- They contribute to mental well-being by helping to restore self-confidence. Some people may feel embarrassed by missing teeth. Implants look and work like real teeth, so you can live your life without constantly worrying about your teeth.
- Implants are a long-term investment that you will want to take care of, resulting in better overall oral health. They can last for decades and provide a great return on investment.
In raising awareness about dental implants, the AAID hopes to provide patients with information about the best way to replace missing teeth. With the “Healthy Mouth, Healthy You” theme, they want to promote the fact that oral health contributes to overall health. A qualified, experienced implant dentist can bring back your dazzling smile and help ensure that you are at your healthiest.
If you would like to see how dental implants can transform your life, schedule a consultation with Dr. Fish today. Dr. Fish is a dental implant specialist as recognized by the American Board of Dental Specialties. For over 25 years, he has provided cosmetic dentistry for the Greater Hickory, NC area. Call us today at 828.397.5514, or email us at email@example.com.